Thursday, February 19, 2015

87th Academy Awards: Predictions


It’s that time of year again; time for the Academy Awards, the biggest film award show of the year. And of course that also means that it’s time for me to list my choices predicting who will be winning awards this Sunday. This year’s show is being hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, which is a pretty good choice if you ask me. However, this year’s list of nominations have attracted quite a lot of controversy, primarily the fact that all of the 20 nominees for Best Actor/Actress (Leading and supporting) are white, which is actually the third time this has happened since 1995. But… because I’m not one to talk about race-related controversy on this site I won’t be saying anything further about it, nor will I be focusing that much on ‘potential’ snubs this year either. I’ve come to the point where I realize that criticizing award snubs is a very clichéd thing to do. Because film is so subjective, awards shows like this are fundamentally flawed because they obviously aren’t going to please everyone given the fact that only about 5 or so films/performances get nominated for the major awards every year. Some may call the Oscars ‘bulls***’ but in reality they’re usually the ones who stir up all of the controversy surrounding the Oscars in the first place.

From this point on, I’m just going to accept the annual Oscar nominations for what they are and not complain that much about what didn’t get nominated. So because of this, unlike the ‘Oscar Predictions’ post I did last year, I’m not going to list any snubs for each of the award categories though I will probably mention some here and there while discussing my picks, the only thing being that I won’t make that big a deal about them. Also, I won’t be looking at every single one of the Oscar categories for one of two reasons; A.) Because I haven’t seen any or all of the films in that category (e.g. Foreign Films, Short Films) or B.) I’m really not that familiar with that particular aspect of filmmaking (e.g. sound mixing). Finally, and most importantly, please bear in mind that this is all just my opinion. Obviously I’m not going to predict every single one of these winners correctly (I doubt anyone can) and some of you will no doubt disagree with my picks because you’re always going to get that with film. All I ask is that you please be respectful not only to what I have to say but everyone else’s opinions as well. In other words, don’t be a jackass and trash someone else for liking something that you didn’t. So without further ado, here are my picks for the 87th Annual Academy Awards.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

*CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

*DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

*GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

*INTERSTELLAR

*X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

My Pick: Interstellar


Quite frankly, I’m fine with any of these five films winning this award as they all had some really nice special effects. While last year’s winner ‘Gravity’ was obviously going to win the award regardless of who else got nominated, thankfully this year doesn’t seem so ‘obvious’. In the end, my vote goes towards ‘Interstellar’, a film that once again showcases the strength of practical visual effects, a common trait of the films of Christopher Nolan. They created an actual dust storm for the scenes on Earth. They created the space visuals beforehand so that the actors wouldn’t have to act in front of a green-screen. And the planets that are explored in the film were filmed in real locations. Sure, they were fairly simple in design but if you ask me, that works much better for the kind of movie that ‘Interstellar’ was. The other four films’ visuals are mostly CGI-based so out of them, my runner-up choice would probably be ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’, which once again featured exceptional motion-capture visuals for the ape characters. I mean it’s clear that the whole controversy surrounding whether or not motion-capture performances should be nominated for any major acting awards is still out there, hence why there’s no nomination for Andy Serkis’ work in the film. Ultimately though, like I said before, I’m fine with any of these films taking home this award and unlike last year, it’s not 100% certain which one will.

BEST MAKEUP/HAIRSTYLING

*FOXCATCHER

*THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

*GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

My Pick: Guardians of the Galaxy


Admittedly there isn’t really that much to say about ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ when it comes to hairstyling considering that quite a few of the characters are bald (Drax, Nebula, etc…). Still, you really got to give the makeup artists a lot of credit for their work here. Now you can make the joke that most of the ‘aliens’ in the film were just humans who had paint splashed on them and for the most part that’s kind of true. But I’m mainly referring to the makeup effects for some of the main characters, namely Drax, Nebula, and Ronan, who had unique looks to them in terms of the makeup design. The work for Ronan and Nebula is so effective that Lee Pace and Karen Gillan are pretty much unrecognizable in these two roles. And as for Drax, Dave Bautista literally had to stay standing for the whole time that his makeup was being applied. That takes a lot of patience to get through and ultimately I feel that it paid off nicely. I have the feeling that ‘Guardians’ probably won’t be a ‘front-runner’ for Best Visual Effects so I think it has a better chance at winning this award. If not ‘Guardians’, then ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’ which I think is going to win big in the next two categories coming up.

BEST COSTUME/PRODUCTION DESIGN

COSTUME DESIGN

*THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

*INHERENT VICE

*INTO THE WOODS

*MALEFICENT

*MR. TURNER

PRODCUTION DESIGN

*THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

*THE IMITATION GAME

*INTERSTELLAR

*INTO THE WOODS

*MR. TURNER

I’m pairing these categories together because not only do I feel that a lot of times they’re basically just the same thing (even though production design is technically a different aspect of filmmaking than costume design), but because my pick for both categories is the same film.

My Pick: The Grand Budapest Hotel


‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’ was actually my first major introduction to the films of Wes Anderson and right away I can say that one thing that you can always expect from a Wes Anderson film is a top-notch production design and colorful, zany visuals to boot. And that’s definitely the case with ‘Budapest’. There was some pretty unique-looking model work done in this film (namely wide shots) and the overall production design has a nice wintery vibe to it. The costume design was also really solid too, with plenty of colorful and eccentric outfits worn by the main characters. So that’s why my vote goes towards ‘Budapest’ in regards to both its production and costume design. I’m not sure if it has much of a chance at winning Best Picture but I have the feeling it’s much more likely to win in these two categories. For my runner-ups in these categories, I’ll be going with the simplistic but visually-pleasing production design of ‘Interstellar’ and the eye-popping fantasy costumes of Disney’s ‘Maleficent’.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

*BIG HERO 6

*THE BOXTROLLS

*HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2

*SONG OF THE SEA

*THE TALE OF THE PRINCESS KAGUYA

My Pick: Big Hero 6


Well seeing how a certain animated film didn’t get a nomination in this category, I have to go with my second favorite animated film from 2014, ‘Big Hero 6’, as my choice for Best Animated Film. In my review, I referred to it as the animated equivalent of a MCU film, resulting in a fun, colorful, and charming effort from Disney, who are clearly in their second animated renaissance when it comes to their films. Not only that, but it is coming off the heels of ‘Frozen’, which won this award last year so I think it has a pretty good chance at a possible win. Though it does have some heavy competition in the form of DreamWorks’ ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2’, which has won this same award at a lot of other award ceremonies including the Golden Globes and the Annie Awards. But at the time I am writing this, I have not seen it… nor have I seen the other nominees in this category. Let me reiterate… I’m not going to complain about ‘The LEGO Movie’ not getting a nomination here. Moving on…

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

*THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

*THE IMITATION GAME

*INTERSTELLAR

*MR. TURNER

*THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

My Pick: Hans Zimmer- Interstellar


While ‘Interstellar’ was a fairly polarizing film amongst critics and audiences, the score by Hans Zimmer wasn’t so it earns my vote for this award. Anyone who went into this movie expecting Zimmer’s score to be too similar to his work on the ‘Dark Knight’ trilogy were more than likely pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn’t the case. A very organ-based score, Zimmer delivered some truly epic motifs as well as some genuinely emotional beats that resulted in a nicely balanced sci-fi film score. In the terms of the former, the best example of this came during the docking scene (‘No Time for Caution’) and, in terms of the latter, was best exemplified in the scene where Cooper leaves home (‘Stay’). Some people felt that the score was too bombastic though I think that was more a problem of the sound design… and yet the sound design was nominated in both ‘Sound Mixing’ and ‘Sound Editing’ (go figure). I guess the Academy wasn’t too bothered by it. I mean, to be fair, it didn’t bother me ‘that much’ either but for the record, it doesn’t get my vote in either of those two categories (that honor goes to ‘Whiplash’ and ‘American Sniper’, respectively). Anyway, my runner-up in this category will be ‘The Imitation Game’, specifically for the final track of the score ‘Alan Turing’s Legacy’. Alexandre Desplat has delivered some truly excellent scores in the past and this one is no exception.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

*EVERYTHING IS AWESOME- THE LEGO MOVIE

*GLORY- SELMA

*GRATEFUL- BEYOND THE LIGHTS

*I’M NOT GONNA MISS YOU- GLEN CAMPBELL: I’LL BE ME

*LOST STARS- BEGIN AGAIN

My Pick: ‘Glory’- Selma


I’ll just be honest… I had never heard of ‘Grateful’, ‘I’m Not Gonna Miss You’, or ‘Lost Stars’ before these nominations were announced. In fact I’m a little disappointed that ‘The Last Goodbye’ from ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ wasn’t nominated. Anyway… this category looks to be a contest between the emotionally rousing tune ‘Glory’ by Common and John Legend and the annoyingly catchy ‘Everything is Awesome’ by Tegan and Sara (featuring The Lonely Island). While it was definitely one of those songs that immediately got stuck in your head, ‘Everything is Awesome’ was also a pleasantly upbeat tune that fit perfectly with the overall tone of the film. But in the end my vote goes to ‘Glory’ for its empowering themes and beat that, like ‘Everything is Awesome’, also fit well with the film that it was made for. ‘Selma’ may not have been nominated for Best Actor or Best Director, and it probably won’t win Best Picture, but it definitely looks like it will win for Best Original Song.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

*BIRDMAN

*BOYHOOD

*FOXCATCHER

*THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

*NIGHTCRAWLER

My Pick: ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’


Wes Anderson’s films are full of quirky and hilarious dialogue; ‘Grand Budapest Hotel’ is no exception. My favorite moment, you ask? When Gustave is hanging off of the cliff and Jopling starts stomping the ground trying to knock him off. Gustave seemingly accepts his fate… and then Zero pushes Jopling off (‘Holy S***, you got him!). For my runner-up pick, I’m going with ‘Birdman’ for both its excellent portrayal of an actor trying to recapture his former glory and its fair share of humorous bits of dialogue.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

*AMERICAN SNIPER

*THE IMITATION GAME

*INHERENT VICE

*THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

*WHIPLASH

Quite a bit of controversy surrounding this group of adapted screenplay nominees this year. One of them, ‘Whiplash’, technically isn’t an adapted screenplay at all. Now it’s true that ‘Whiplash’ was originally a short film but that was done just so that investors would sign on to produce the full-length film. So really it should be in the ‘Original Screenplay’ category but it isn’t, apparently due an error by the Academy. And then with the two biopics ‘American Sniper’ and ‘The Imitation Game’, both films attracted controversy for their alleged ‘historical inaccuracy’. In the case of ‘Imitation Game’, it was for ‘allegedly’ underplaying Alan Turing’s homosexuality. And ever since it became a major hit at the box office, ‘American Sniper’ has been criticized by many people for its stance on the war in Iraq and the ‘questionable’ heroism of Chris Kyle. The other major biopic in this category, ‘The Theory of Everything’, has gone by unscathed for the most part. So with that said, where do I stand on this category?

My Pick: Any of the following 3: ‘Whiplash’, ‘American Sniper’, or ‘Imitation Game’


In a sense, I should probably go with ‘Whiplash’ just on the grounds that it should probably win anyway due to it being put in the wrong category. But I also really liked ‘American Sniper’ as well. Now of course I’m aware of all of the controversy surrounding the film but because I’m not really that much of a political person, I’m not really going to say anything about it. Really, the key to the film wasn’t its views on the war in Iraq or how cohesive the overall story was. Where it succeeded the most was how it portrayed the struggles of Chris Kyle, specifically how he felt compelled to keep going on tours of duty because he struggled to adjust back to normal life at home. Kyle’s story is a very fascinating one and Kyle himself is a fascinating person. Another equally fascinating person was Alan Turing and that is why I also give credit for ‘The Imitation Game’ for being a very compelling war story through the eyes of a man whose work forever changed the world. Personally I didn’t think the film ‘underplayed’ Turing’s homosexuality; I think it was handled very subtly showing the personal struggle Turing must’ve gone through his interactions with his co-workers, like how in one scene he risks it all so that he can reveal to his superiors that one of his co-workers was a Soviet spy. Ultimately, I’d be fine with any of these three films winning this award. ‘American Sniper’ and ‘Imitation Game’ were my favorite biopics from a year that was full of great biopics. But ‘Whiplash’ also had a great screenplay too; too bad it accidentally ended up in the wrong category.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

*PATRICIA ARQUETTE- BOYHOOD

*LAURA DERN- WILD

*KEIRA KNIGHTLEY- THE IMITATION GAME

*EMMA STONE- BIRDMAN

*MERYL STREEP- INTO THE WOODS

My Pick: Patricia Arquette- Boyhood


This year I’ve made an effort not to read a lot of ‘Oscar Coverage/Predictions’ posts for fear of this year’s event turning out as ‘predictable’ as it was last year due to the fact that I read a lot of posts that discussed all of the major front-runners for each award. But it’s safe to say that for the Supporting Acting categories this year, we have clear front-runners. In the case of Supporting Actress, it’s Patricia Arquette for her role as the Mom from ‘Boyhood’. Now I’m just going to lay this out there… I wasn’t really that big a fan of ‘Boyhood’ compared to, well, pretty much everyone else in the world given the fact that this is easily the most critically acclaimed film of last year. Now I’m not faulting the film for its ambitious production technique (being shot over 12 years with the same main actors) and I do think it did a great job at capturing the childhood experiences of the main character. But ultimately it didn’t really connect with me that much and I think that is because I never really had a childhood like the one Mason has in the film where my parents were divorced and my family moved around a lot. Now if you did have a childhood like that, then I perfectly understand why you’d connect with this film and really I feel that this will be the key factor as to whether or not you like the film. Again, let me be clear; I don’t hate it, and for the record I hate to use this following term, but I do feel that it’s a bit overrated and it’s ultimately my least favorite out of these 8 Best Picture nominees… boy I can already expect a lot of cinephiles giving me a lot of unfair s*** for this one.

But I will give credit where credit’s due in that Patricia Arquette does a fantastic job in this film as the mother; she and her husband (played by Ethan Hawke, who for the record I would have probably picked as my choice for Best Supporting Actor had there not been a different frontrunner in that category (more on that in a sec)) are probably the most interesting characters in the film. Personally I would’ve loved to see them reconnect as a couple (especially after she went through a series of, to quote the film’s ‘Honest Trailer’, drunken a-holes) but in the end Arquette did a great job portraying the emotional struggles of this character, as shown in scenes like the one near the end where she breaks down as Mason prepares to leave for college as she realizes how fast time has flown by. If I had to choose a runner-up, I’d go with either Keira Knightley from ‘The Imitation Game’, who definitely held her own against Benedict Cumberbatch in that film, or Emma Stone from ‘Birdman’. I’ve heard a lot of people say that Stone was the weakest part of ‘Birdman’ but I disagree. I think she did a really nice job in that film but in the end, I think it’s safe to say that Arquette is going to win this one.         

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

*ROBERT DUVALL- THE JUDGE

*ETHAN HAWKE- BOYHOOD

*EDWARD NORTON- BIRDMAN

*MARK RUFFALO- FOXCATCHER

*J.K. SIMMONS- WHIPLASH

My Pick: J.K. Simmons- Whiplash


There’s no contest here… on pretty much all accounts, it looks like the former boss of the Daily Bugle is going to win the Oscar for his turn as the tough-as-nails music conductor Terrence Fletcher in ‘Whiplash’. Seriously, J.K. Simmons is so frigging amazing in this film and is guaranteed to make you terrified of him whenever he goes all out on any of his students; all those years playing J. Jonah Jameson in the Sam Raimi ‘Spider-Man’ films really paid off. I mean it’s pretty much a given that Simmons is going to win Best Supporting Actor on Sunday. But what if, on the off chance, he doesn’t win it? I mean, this is a really solid list of nominees we have here… and yes I’m saying this even though a lot of people are bashing the nomination of Robert Duvall for ‘The Judge’ due to the mixed-to-negative reactions towards the film. I’m not one of those people (I did like the film) but I think it’s safe to say that Duvall isn’t going to win anyway. As for the other three, like I noted earlier, I’m going with Ethan Hawke as the dad from ‘Boyhood’. The dad was actually my favorite character in that film, primarily due to his all-around likable personality (again to quote the ‘Honest Trailer’, he wasn’t that bad, especially compared to his ex-wife’s other husbands). But like with Best Supporting Actress, I don’t think we’re really going to see an upset here.

BEST ACTRESS

*MARION COTILLARD- TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT

*FELICITY JONES- THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

*JULIANNE MOORE- STILL ALICE

*ROSAMUND PIKE- GONE GIRL

*REESE WITHERSPOON- WILD

My Pick: Rosamund Pike- ‘Gone Girl’


Out of all of the acting categories, this is the one where my choices are the most limited because I’ve only seen two of these films; ‘Gone Girl’ and ‘The Theory of Everything’. And while Felicity Jones did a phenomenal job in ‘The Theory of Everything’, my vote goes to Rosamund Pike for his stand-out performance as Amy Dunne in ‘Gone Girl’. Once the big reveal of ‘Gone Girl’ occurred showing that Amy was the mastermind behind her own disappearance, Pike commands the film from that point on and as I noted before I didn’t expect this character to be as, to put it simply, committed as she was. Regardless of your overall stance on the character, Pike’s performance in the film was outstanding. But of course, Jones’ work as Jane Hawking was also superb so of course, given the fact that I haven’t seen ‘Two Days, One Night’ (which from what I hear only played in like two or three theaters nationwide), ‘Still Alice’, or ‘Wild’, she is my runner-up pick. But it’s looking like we have a different front-runner for this category in Julianne Moore for ‘Still Alice’ given the fact that she’s pretty much won every other major award in this category from the Golden Globes to the SAG Awards. 

BEST ACTOR

*STEVE CARELL- FOXCATCHER

*BRADLEY COOPER- AMERICAN SNIPER

*BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH- THE IMITATION GAME

*MICHAEL KEATON- BIRDMAN

*EDDIE REDMAYNE- THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

My Pick: Eddie Redmayne- The Theory of Everything


In a category full of fantastic performances that all deserve their nominations, I’m going to go with Eddie Redmayne for his turn as Stephen Hawking in ‘The Theory of Everything’. It was a role that required quite the transformation and Redmayne handled that perfectly. I mean, I’m kind of rooting for him anyway in the hopes that the alleged ‘Norbit’ curse that affects actors who have a critically maligned movie come out a few weeks before the Oscars won’t occur for him. Personally, I think this ‘curse’ is a bunch of bull but Redmayne did recently star in ‘Jupiter Ascending’ and of course as we all know, his turn as the villain in that film was one of the biggest acting misfires in recent memory. Still, that doesn’t take away the fact that he was brilliant in ‘Theory of Everything’ so that is why he earns my vote here. On a side note, Julianne Moore is arguably in the same boat as well giving the poor critical and commercial performance of ‘Seventh Son’ but again I really don’t believe in this ‘curse’ so I think that both of them will be fine. Runner-Up? Screw it, I’m fine with any one of these five brilliant performances taking home the Oscar. All five of these performances were brilliant and while it’s looking like it’s mainly a toss-up between Redmayne and Keaton, there’s no denying the phenomenal work that these five actors did in their respective films. In my opinion, this is the best group of nominees from any of the Oscar categories this year.

BEST DIRECTOR

*WES ANDERSON- THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

*ALEJANDRO GONZALEZ INARRITU- BIRDMAN

*RICHARD LINKLATER- BOYHOOD

*BENNETT MILLER- FOXCATCHER

*MORTEN TYLDUM- THE IMITATION GAME

My Pick: Richard Linklater- Boyhood


While I’ve already made it very clear that I’m not the biggest fan of ‘Boyhood’, my vote for Best Director goes to Linklater for his work on the film as this is a case similar to Alfonso Cuaron’s ‘Gravity’ last year. He worked on this film for 12 years and it got to the point where Linklater was going to put Ethan Hawke in charge of finishing the film in case he ended up dying at one point. Thankfully he didn’t and he was finally able to finish the film this year so ultimately he basically deserves this award anyway. I mean to be perfectly honest, this is a rather dull list of nominees for Best Director this year. I’m not discrediting any of the work done by these five directors but I do wish that there were some more ‘interesting’ nominees in this category, like Ava DuVernay for ‘Selma’ (not going to bring up the ‘race’ issue) or David Fincher for ‘Gone Girl’. So from the other four nominees, I guess my runner-up will be Wes Anderson for ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’ though it’s unlikely that he’ll actually win.

BEST PICTURE

*AMERICAN SNIPER

*BIRDMAN

*BOYHOOD

*THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

*THE IMITATION GAME

*SELMA

*THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

*WHIPLASH

Just for reference, here are my ratings for these 8 films:

American Sniper- 5/5!

Birdman- 4.5/5

Boyhood- 3.5/5

The Grand Budapest Hotel- 5/5!

The Imitation Game- 5/5!

Selma- 5/5!

The Theory of Everything- 4.5/5

Whiplash- 4/5.5

Personally I feel that this is one of the best groups of Best Picture nominees that I’ve ever seen. And while I may not have been the biggest fan of the critical darling that was ‘Boyhood’, I would be fine with any of these eight films winning Best Picture… but if I had to choose one…

My Pick: AMERICAN SNIPER


Is this the ‘best’ film of 2014? Probably not, but from a personal preference, ‘American Sniper’ was my favorite out of all of these nominees. Is the film perfect? No. Has there been a whole lot of controversy surrounding the film since it became a box-office hit? Yes. But like I said before, I’ve ignored most of this controversy due to the fact that I’m not that much of a ‘political’ person. Besides, there have been quite a few times where the ‘audience favorites’ have won Best Picture before. Remember in 2003 when ‘Return of the King’ won this award? Or when ‘Titanic’ did it back in 1997? Heck, you may even argue that ‘Argo’ was probably the fan favorite a few years ago. My runner-ups for this category are the three other films that I gave 5/5 ratings to. That includes ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’, which probably won’t win but was still very entertaining, ‘The Imitation Game’, my second favorite biopic from last year and one that did really hit me on an emotional level, and ‘Selma’, and again I’m not saying anything about the controversy surrounding this film’s snubs.


So those are my picks for the 87th Academy Awards. Obviously many of you are going to have different picks so feel free to share them in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment